Refugee Camp Improvement Project- PALCIP” is a three -year project funded by GoJ, and implemented by JICA in cooperation with DoRA since Jan 2017. This project came as a result of DoRA’s request from GOJ to provide assistance for improving it’s capacity and the relevant community groups necessary for camp improvement, which was subsequently appraised and adopted by GOJ.
That request was raised due to the difficult living and socio-economic situation that are facing the refugees’ camps inside Palestine, along with limited service provided by UNRWA, which caused the creation of substantial gap between the provided services and the demand of the refugees both in terms of quantity and quality. Moreover, the demand for other developmental needs remain mostly unmet and are left to the limited efforts of Popular Committees of the camps as well as ad-hoc support from international communities. Based on the foregoing, a social and baseline survey and PRA are needed to ensure that development/improvement projects are directed towards meeting the different needs of refugees inside the camps.
To this end, JET has contracted GCT to implement this assignment according to their requirements and expectations.
The main objectives of this assignment were as follows
- Collecting necessary basic information about the two target camps and the baseline data for the indicators described in the PDM by Conducting Social and baseline survey;
- Discussing and identifying the existing problems in the camps, their needs and various available resources which can be utilized for handling these problems by conducting PRA and FGDs with camps residents
- Preparing the Survey Design Outline Report which included the detailed methodology of the Survey and PRA/FGDs, methods for data analysis and interpretation, in addition to draft House Hold questionnaire;
- Conducting desk research to collect further documents, relevant studies, statistics, reports produced by other donors or institutions to serve the collection of required data under the social and baseline survey;
- Developing the field work protocol and implementation instructions for field workers, and conducting one -day training on HH questionnaire and the field protocol for the field workers in each camp;
- Implementing the HH Survey by the field workers in the two camps, with a sample size of 400 HH in each camp;
- Conducting number of key informant interviews with relevant parties inside and outside the target camps,
- Preparing and submitting one combined Social and Baseline Survey report for the two camps.
- Conducting one-day training for the field facilitators in each camp on PRA.
- Implementing the PRA & FGDs with the defined segments of camps residents in the two target camps
- Analyzing the collected data from FGDs, preparing and submitting the draft PRA&FGDs report in both Arabic and English languages, which included recommendations on possible active members in each segment for Camp Improvement Forum (CIF) in the two camps;
- Preparing and submitting the Final Summary report, which included summary for major results and findings of the Survey and PRA/FGDs, comparison between the two camps, as well as recommendations on how to organize CIF in order to formulate CIP in the two camps