The project aimed mainly at enhancing capacities of the Palestinian Authority (PA) to mainstream and address the challenges of climate change into the government policy framework and plans.It also intended to support the implementation of pilot projects on climate change adaptation and mitigation.
With approaching the end of project, a final evaluation was necessary to provide a comprehensive and sufficient analysis of the project during the 4 years of operation by conducting an independent external assessment of the level of achievement, performance and impacts of set objectives and expected results, outputs and outcome listed in the project documents, determine the successes and/or shortcomings, as well as the factors that have hindered or facilitated the success of the project, identify lessons learned and best practices, in addition to provide recommendations to be considered in the development of future similar interventions.
Specifically, the final evaluation focused on the following relevant activities:
- Assessing the relevance of the project in the context of the State of Palestine and the actual needs of Palestinian institutions;
- Determining the extent to which the project has achieved its overall goal, specific objectives and expected outputs since its inception;
- Addressing the gaps and highlighting challenges in achieving the desired results and outcomes;
- Analyzing the processes, efficacy of used model/practices/strategies, the effectiveness of project monitoring and learning processes, relations with relevant main stakeholders, and other aspects of UNDP/PAPP’s performance as implementing agency;
- Assessing the overall impacts of project and appraising the potential sustainability;
- Identifying and highlighting lessons learned, best practices, challenges faced, and providing recommendations as needed for development similar future interventions.
Within this context, UNDP/PAPP has contracted GCT to undertake this final evaluation assignment in line with its requirements and expectations.
Description of Actual Services Provided by GCT:
- Desk review for relevant documents and literature to the project under evaluation;
- Development of data collection matrix included the set of key questions under each evaluation criterion (Relevance, Effectiveness, Efficiency, Impact, Sustainability),
- Conducting field visits to the project’s sites to collect the experts‘ own observations and interview the key relevant parties;
- Conducting semi-structured interviews with the key informants and stakeholders including UNDP/PAPP officers, EQA officers, other relevant ministries, consultants, representatives of NGOs and the donor;
- Holding de-briefing presentation for the key findings to the main stakeholders and program staff,
- Preparing and producing the final version of evaluation report including lessons learned and recommendations for future programming and similar